Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Glass Is Not Empty (reprinted from 3/11/2008)

As you know, I like to look at the glass as being half full, rather than half empty. I am an optimist. I want to focus on what I've got, rather than what I don't. Think positive. That's me. Nowadays that gets difficult. In addition to my Miami Heat losing all the time, there's been some really bad things happening in the world lately. First of all, the war, the bad economy, and the other things that need to be fixed in our country, seem to be taken for granted. That's sad. Also very sad is that people are leaving their houses, maybe to go to a Wendy's, meeting misfortune, and never returning home. And college students are going to class, and randomly being shot dead. I'm sorry that this brings you down. It makes me sad too. Unfortunately, there's too many of these stories, daily. How do you keep from getting depressed about this state of affairs? How do you stay positive and optimistic when there's so much sadness that we seem to have no control over?

I think that part of the answer is that we have to make happiness happen in our lives, daily. Make the relationships work that are supposed to be loving and happy. Stop tolerating behavior from people that is unacceptable (this includes family and friends). Do good things, big and small. The fact is that there is actually more good happening in the world than there is bad. The bad gets more publicity, and bombards us daily through the media. But there is good out there, even close to us. See it. Feel it. At least be aware of the good stuff enough to balance out the bad. After all, the good is really more important and meaningful than the bad. If you can't allow yourself to see that the glass really is half full, at least acknowledge that it's not totally empty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I rarely ever check my emails at home and today I decided to go on and stumbled across an email from you. I read a bit from your blog spot and I was amazed at the articles that were posted. I assume that you write your own material; it sounds so much like you when we are in a session. I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for everything that you have offered to me and towards my marriage. Honestly, if I gained nothing else but self love from the sessions it will be a great and needed accomplishment. I've come to realize that a lot of things I accepted in my marriage was a result of me not loving myself. I am growing to love me more and more every day and I have you to thank for that. Why thank you? Because I have allowed myself to become lost in the hurt and anger, and therfore I lost focus on what is really important in my life. I see things differently and I am learning to love differently. I will continue to come to my sessions until I feel that I can conquer the world and achieve my life goals on my own. Just wanted to give thanks...