Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Easier - Than - It - Looks Recipe: Tilapia Parmesan

My wife and I enjoy cooking. So we thought that we would share some of our favorite recipes, as well as ask you to share some of your favorites. If they pass the taste test, and the EASINESS test, I would be more than happy to print it so that our other bloggers can enjoy them. The only thing is that we don't eat meat (yes, that does include chicken and turkey. We always get asked that). We do eat a lot of fish, and soy products. And generally prefer low fat, low carb and whole grains, trying to watch those pounds and inches (I've lost 25 lbs. in the past 2 years). Though we definitely enjoy the occasional dessert (especially the high fat, high carb ones). And one of us REALLY enjoys chocolate, but I promised I wouldn't mention her name. So do send us your favorite recipes to my e-mail address, TheFreelsGroup@bellsouth.net . Also maybe a little story about where you got it ("little" story).

Now this one we got while visiting my parents last summer in South Jersey when my Dad got sick. He's much better now. We met my daughters there, and went for dinner after visiting him and my Mom. I ordered the Flounder Parmesan at this Italian restaurant/Pizza shop. Dee-lish-us! I've never written a recipe before, but the Mrs. encouraged me to try. It came out OK. See what you think.



Tilapia Parmesan


Ingredients


1. 1 lb. of tilapia (serves 2) - other fish fillet can be substituted

2. 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese (more or less to taste)

3. 2 cups of marinara sauce

4. olive oil, or other cooking oil

5. bread crumbs
6. 1 egg

7. marinate (optional): Use your favorite spices to marinade if you choose to. For this dish I use worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, Old Bay seasoning, oregano, garlic


Directions:


Put the cooking oil in a frying pan (a few teaspoonfuls of oil should be sufficient, though you may add more while it cooks if needed) using moderate heat. Stir an egg in a bowl. Dip the fish in the egg mix, which also helps the breading stick to the fish. Coat the fish with the bread crumbs. Cook the fish in the frying pan for 10 to 15 minutes on each side, until the fish is cooked completely (it should be white inside). Reduce the heat. While in the frying pan, coat the fish with the marinara sauce. Cover it with the shredded cheese. Cover the pan for a few minutes allowing the dish to simmer until the cheese melts. Voila!! You can add more sauce and/or cheese to the completed dish, depending on your taste.
Try it and let us now what you think. Also send me one of your favorites (to my e-mail address). Remember to aim for easier-than-it-looks, meatless (though we sometimes just substitute fish, or soy for the meat in a recipe), and healthy (e.g. we substitute brown rice for white, whole wheat breads and pastas, etc.). But of course, you can go nuts with the desserts.

No comments: