Tuesday, January 27, 2009

YAHOO!! You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks!

You Always Have Other Options! YAHOO! This is something I believe, and I encourage you to. I came across YAHOO in a book I was reading by Dr. Frank Lawlis, The Stress Answer. He talks a lot about brain plasticity, which is a scientific term for your brain being able to make changes as needed throughout your life (even if you are an "old dog"). I've been reading about this fairly new concept, plasticity, for the past few years. It offers a mechanism for what I've thought about how people are able to break bad habits, and develop new good ones. I knew we could do it, now I understand better how it works in the brain. Often it happens without direct effort by us. For example, when someone goes blind, their brain makes other senses, like hearing and touch, improve significantly to help compensate for the loss of sight. However, we can make it happen for us to make important but difficult changes in our lives.

People used to think that the majority of our brain development is done by the time we're young adults. Not so. We can make changes in how our brain works, all the way up to the end of our lives. Those of you who have ailing older family members who seem stuck in their ways, or like they can't learn new things, should consider this. Of course you need to have a lot of patience.

I am putting some of this information together to develop a Plan to help those people who feel themselves to be in a rut, not happy with their lives or certain aspects of their lives (for example, liking your job, but not your relationship). My "Jump Start Your Life" Plan will require only 30 minutes for 30 days, to get yourself unstuck. And not complicated at all. Sound too good to be true? Well the toughest part will be you finding 30 minutes a day for 30 consecutive days, to take care of YOU. After that it will be easy, and fun. YAHOO!!

Look for my Jump Start Your Life Plan in next week's blog posting. Think about what changes you might want to make.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would wholeheartedly agree that good sense would indicate that any situation has more than one direction that a given discussion or thought pattern one can take.

Therapist allow people to see those directions and good therapist can even create a sense of continiuty in a patients thought pattern.